C.C. Hope Chair of Financial Services & Law, Professor
Steve Nickles is recognized across the country as an outstanding scholar and teacher in the fields of business, commercial, and debtor-creditor law. He is the co-author of several casebooks and textbooks on these subjects and of a three-volume treatise on bankruptcy, which is used by lawyers. He is currently at work on two classroom books. In addition to his many published articles, Steve has frequently lectured in professional development programs for lawyers and judges and to law school faculties and academic meetings about the use of technology in teaching. For many years, he served as an advisor on academic technology to Thompson-West, the country's leading legal publisher, where he conceived and helped to develop TWEN (The West Educational Network), the only national, on-line course management system designed for legal education. Steve has previously taught at the University of Arkansas and the University of Minnesota, where he was a distinguished professor. Throughout most of his adult life, Steve has also worked and played in government and politics. He worked in Washington, D.C. for David H. Pryor when he was a United States Representative from Arkansas and later when Pryor served as a U.S. Senator. When Pryor was Governor of Arkansas, Steve served in several roles, including as an advisor on legislative policy and as director of the state-level office of budget and management.
- JSD, Columbia Law School- 1980
- LLM, Columbia Law School- 1977
- JD, University of Arkansas- 1975
- MPA, University of Arkansas- 1975
- BA, University of Arkansas- 1971
Nickles, S. H. (2018).
The Unauthorized Practice of Law for Nonlawyers.
West Academic. | more information
- April 6, 2017 - Quoted in Federal court rules against sexual orientation discrimination in the workplace by Ana Irizarry, The Daily Tar Heel | more information
- October 7, 2014 - WFU law expert predicts NC ban on gay marriage will be overturned, Fox8 | more information
- March 4, 2014 - Professor Steve Nickles co-teaching unique course with UNC-W professor on HR Policy/Practice and Business Torts, WFU School of Law News & Events | more information
- May 30, 2013 - Students create website for Church, Law and Ethics course, WFU School of Law News & Events | more information
- October 26, 2011 - Virtual courses make professors brokers of learning, WFU School of Law News & Events | more information
- September 24, 2010 - A ?Conversation With ...' series to host author and lawyer Ann Scales on Tuesday, Oct. 5, WFU School of Law News & Events | more information
- May 14, 2010 - Despite near-fatal accident, Amber Kirby graduates with her class, WFU School of Law News & Events | more information
- January 7, 2009 - Dr. Anthony Atala keynote speaker at WFU Law School's regenerative medicine symposium, WFU School of Law News & Events | more information