Associate Teaching Professor
Phil comes to Wake Forest after having served as an Assistant Professor in the Strategy & Entrepreneurship group within the Gies College of Business at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. He taught the undergraduate capstone Strategic Management course and coordinated the instructors delivering the 18-20 sections per year. He completed his PhD in Management at the MIT Sloan School of Management in 2012.
Prior to academia, Phil spent time in technology organizations (e.g., AT&T Bell Laboratories, Citigroup Development Center, an Internet startup -- TheDock.com, and Hewlett-Packard) in roles related to R&D and product management. Phil constantly hears great things about the Wake Forest students and he looks forward to engaging them in and out of the classroom.
- Ph D, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Management) - 2012
- MBA, University of California, Los Angeles- 1998
- MS, Illinois Institute of Technology (Electrical Engineering) - 1985
- BS, Purdue University (Electrical Engineering) - 1984
- My research interests span across strategy and innovation management in areas such as: platform ecosystems, strategic change, management of innovation, business models, upper echelons, and the interplay of products and services in technology firms.
- My teaching interests are in strategic management, the management of innovation, and entrepreneurship.
- 2019 - Teachers Ranked As Excellent, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- 2018 - Teachers Ranked As Excellent (Outstanding Distinction), University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- 2014 - Teachers Ranked As Excellent, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- 2013 - Teachers Ranked As Excellent, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- 2013 - Best Dissertation Award, Runner-up, INFORMS Technology Management Section