Matthew T. Phillips JD
Associate Teaching Professor; Director, BB&T Center for the Study of Capitalism; John Hendley Fellow in Free Enterprise & Entrepreneurship
Matthew Phillips teaches courses in business law and ethics across the Business School's undergraduate and graduate programs, and he serves as director of the BB&T Center for the Study of Capitalism, which focuses on the connections of business and capitalism to a humane and just society. He leverages a passion for innovative teaching and experience as a tax and estate planning lawyer to engage students with the practical intersections of law and business, but also emphasizes the underlying principles that will shape managers' interaction with law and ethical decision-making throughout their careers. He has received awards for excellence in teaching and was named the 2015 Charles M. Hewitt Master Teacher by the Academy of Legal Studies in Business.
Matthew received undergraduate and law degrees from Wake Forest and a Master of Divinity degree from Duke University, where he focused on the intersections of law and religion in American history. He has done additional academic work, concentrating on leadership and ethics, at the U.S. Air Force's Air University. He is admitted to practice law before state and federal courts of North Carolina, the United States Tax Court, and the United States Supreme Court. He is certified by the North Carolina Dispute Resolution Commission as a Superior Court Mediator.
Matthew is a member of the Academy of Legal Studies in Business and its Ethics Section, the North Carolina Bar Association and its Business, Estate Planning, and Dispute Resolution sections. As an instrument-rated private pilot, Matthew enjoys flying single-engine planes, and he is a pilot and legal officer in the Civil Air Patrol (the U.S. Air Force Auxiliary).
Business Ethics; Professions and Professional Ethics; Character and Leadership; Law; Foundations of Law; Property Rights; Non-Profit Management; Dispute Resolution; Mediation; Law and Religion; Income Tax; Estate Planning and Administration; Trust Administration
- Air Command and Staff College, USAF Air University (Military Operational Art & Science) - 2017
- JD, Wake Forest University- 2006
- MDiv, Duke University- 2003
- BA, Wake Forest University (Economics and Religion) - 2000
- Property Rights
- Business Ethics
- Professions and Professional Ethics
- Philosophical and Economic Foundations of Business Law
- Business Law
- Context of Business
- Ethical Decision Making
- Professional Ethics
- Income Tax
Herron, D. J.
Phillips, M. T.
Hayek's Theory of Spontaneous Order and the Normative Development of the Free Market and Common Law.
The Journal Jurisprudence.
Phillips, M. T.
(2017). Three Uncles at the Bar.
North Carolina State Bar Journal, 22 (3), 24-26. | more information
McCray, G. E.
Iacovou, C. L.
Roehm, M. L.
Phillips, M. T.
Reinemund, S. S.
(2010). Paths to Performance.
BizEd, Jan/Feb 2010 (Jan/Feb 2010), 42-46. | more information
- 2018 - Ernie King Memorial Award (Outstanding Proceedings Reviewer), Academy of Legal Studies in Business
- 2018 - Ideas Worth Teaching Award, The Aspen Institute | Business & Society Program
- 2017 - Gill Robb Wilson Award, Civil Air Patrol (U.S. Air Force Auxiliary)
- 2017 - Graduate, Air Command and Staff College, Air University (U.S. Air Force)
- 2017 - Meritorious Service Award, Civil Air Patrol (US Air Force Auxiliary)
- 2017 - Pro Bono Honor Society, N.C. Equal Access to Justice Commission, Supreme Court of North Carolina
- 2016 - John Hendley Fellowship, Wake Forest University School of Business
- 2016 - Exceptional Service Award, Civil Air Patrol (U.S. Air Force Auxiliary)
- 2016 - T.B. Rose Fellowship in Business, Wake Forest University School of Business
- 2015 - Faculty Affiliate, BB&T Center for the Study of Capitalism, Wake Forest University School of Business
- 2015 - Charles M. Hewitt Master Teacher, Academy of Legal Studies in Business
- 2014 - Bernard L Beatty Faculty Fellowship, Wake Forest University School of Business
- 2013 - Graduate, Squadron Officer School, Air University (U.S. Air Force)
- January 18, 2018 - First (Snow) Day of Class, VoiceThread Blog | more information
- November 6, 2016 - In Search of a Professional Politician, Inside Sources | more information
- June 29, 2016 - Brexit means trouble for Democrats and Republicans, North State Journal | more information
- June 1, 2016 - 2016's States with the Best and Worst Taxpayer ROI, WalletHub | more information
- October 26, 2014 - On the Spot: Honor seat reservations? That's up to the airline., Los Angeles Times | more information