Professor Jim A. Narus
Professor of Management
Professor Narus specializes in Business-to-Business Marketing. He serves as a Research Fellow at the Institute for the Study of Business Markets at The Pennsylvania State University and on the Committee of Science at the Ecole de Management de Normandie in France. Jim is co-author of the management practice book, "Value Merchants", the textbook, "Business Market Management: Understanding, Creating, and Delivering Value", and "Build, Fix, or Terminate: The Distributor's Guide to More Profitable Supplier Relations"; and the author of the book, "Connect with Your Suppliers: A Wholesaler-Distributor's Guide to Electronic Communications Systems". Two of his Harvard Business Review articles -- "Customer Value Propositions" and "Tiebreaker Selling" -- have been designated among "HBRs 10 Must Reads" on Strategic Marketing and Sales, respectively. Professor Narus not only is involved in a variety of international marketing research projects but also regularly teaches abroad at such schools as Universidad Torcuato di Tella (Argentina), Management Center Europe (Belgium), Fundacao Dom Cabral (Brazil), University College Dublin (Ireland), University of Helsinki (Finland), Bordeaux School of Management (France), and University of Twente (The Netherlands). He has worked as a marketing professor at Wake Forest University since January 1988. Prior to his academic career, Jim served as a Market Research Fellow & Analyst at the DuPont Corporation in Wilmington, DE.
Business-to-Business Marketing; Customer Value Management
- Ph D, Syracuse University (Marketing Management) - 1981
- MBA, University of Connecticut (Marketing Management) - 1975
- BA, University of Connecticut (Cell Biology) - 1973
- Business-to-Business Marketing
- Digital Marketing & Purchasing
- Customer Value Management
- Business-to-Business Marketing
- Marketing Channel Management
- Marketing Performance Assessment
- Gupta, P., Steward, M., Narus, J. A., Seshadri, D. (2020). Two-Way Mentoring: How Employees Can Learn from One Another. Asian Management Insights, 7 (2), 60-65. | more information
- Boone, D. S., Steward, M., Narus, J. A., Roehm, M. L. (2020). Tradeoffs in Supplier Ratings in Supplier Selection: Strategic vs. Non-Strategic Purchases. Journal of Business-to-Business Marketing, 27 (2), 97-109.
- Steward, M., Narus, J. A., Roehm, M. L., Ritz, W. (2019). From Transactions to Journeys and Beyond: The Evolution of B2B Buying Process Modeling. Industrial Marketing Management, 83 (November), 288-300.
- Mandjak, T., Belaid, S., Narus, J. A. (2018). The Impact of the Altered Political Economy on the Tunisian Auto Parts Market. The IMP Journal (i.e., Industrial Marketing & Purchasing)/Emerald Insight Publisher, 12 (1), 111-126. | more information
- Steward, M. D., Narus, J. A., Roehm, M. L. (2018). An Exploratory Study of Business-to-Business Online Customer Reviews: External Online Professional Communities and Internal Vendor Scorecards. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 46 (2), 173-189.
- Narus, J. A. (2015). B2B Salespeople Can Survive If They Reimagine Their Roles. Harvard Business Review | more information
- Narus, J. A., Anderson, A. C., Wouters, M. (2014). Tie-Breaker Selling: How Nonstrategic Suppliers Can Help Customers Solve Important Problems. Harvard Business Review
- Wynstra, F., Anderson, J. C., Narus, J. A., Wouters, M. (2012). Supplier Development Responsibility and NPD Project Outcomes: The Mediating Roles of Monetary Quantification of Differences and Supporting-Detail Gathering. Journal of Product Innovation Management, 29 (December 2012), 103-123.
- Narus, J. A., Donath, B. (2009).Build, Fix, or Terminate. National Association of Wholesaler-Distributors' Institute for Distribution Excellence. | more information
- Wouters, M., Anderson, J. C., Narus, J. A., Wynstra, F. (2009). Improving Sourcing Decisions in NPD Projects: Monetary Quantification of Points of Difference. Journal of Operations Management, 27 (1), 64-77.
- Anderson, J. C., Narus, J. A., Narayandas, D. (2008).Business Market Management. Pearson Education, Inc..
- Anderson, J. C., Kumar, N., Narus, J. A. (2008). Business Value Merchants. Marketing Management (March-April), 31-35.
- Anderson, J. C., Kumar, N., Narus, J. A. (2007).Value Merchants. Harvard Business School Press.
- Muthuraman, B., Sen, A., Sesahdri, D., Narus, J. A. (2006). Understanding the Process of Transitioning to Customer Value Management. Vikalpa: The Journal for Decision Makers (April 2006)
- Anderson, J. C., Narus, J. A., van Rossum, W. (2006). Customer Value Propositions in Business Markets. Harvard Business Review (March 2006)
- Narus, J. A. (2005).Connect with Your Suppliers: A Wholesaler-Distributor's Guide to Electronic Communications Systems. National Association of Wholesaler-Distributors.
- Narus, J. A., Carpenter, G. S., Anderson, J. C. (2001). Managing Market Offerings in Business Markets. (Ed.), (pp. 330-365). New York: Kellogg on Marketing.Dawn Iacobucci: John Wiley & Sons Inc. | more information
- 2017 - High Impact Scholarship Award, 2017 and 2011, Wake Forest University School of Business
- 2017 - Distinguished Rotarian Award 2016-2017, Rotary International District 7680
- 2015 - Committee of Science Member (2015 to the present), Ecole de Management de Normandie, France
- 1994 - Research Fellow (1994 to the present), Institute for the Study of Business Markets at The Pennsylvania State University
- January 11, 2018 - When online reviews conflict , Review Chat| more information
- September 6, 2017 - International Differences in Procurement's Use of Digital Purchasing Tools , Blog Talk Radio| more information
- July 8, 2017 - The Analytical Experience of Reconciling Positive and Negative Supplier Reviews , Blog Talk Radio| more information
- May 24, 2017 - TCO Toolkit , WFU Sponsored Podcast| more information
- April 19, 2017 - B2B Engagement , WFU iTunes Store Site
- September 28, 2016 - Supplier Intelligence in the World of Social Media , The Procurement Revolution| more information
- July 13, 2016 - Reconciling Positive and Negative Online Reviews , Blog Talk Radio| more information
- April 29, 2016 - The Digital Buyer: Design Your Website to Allay Customer Doubt , Procurement Leaders: Global Intelligence Network| more information
- March 23, 2016 - What Does Tomorrow's Digitally Enabled Function Look Like? , Procurement Leaders UK| more information
- February 22, 2016 - Where are the online, B2B product reviews? , Procurement Leaders Global Intelligence Network| more information
- February 9, 2016 - The digital buyer: how B2B customers want to talk about suppliers , Purchasing Leaders Global Intelligence Network| more information
- January 13, 2016 - "Incorporating online reviews and evaluations in B2B Procurement" , Blog Talk Radio| more information
- December 1, 2015 - "The Influence of the Digital Environment on Decision-Making in Procurement" , Blog Talk Radio| more information