Rolling Admissions Process
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Admissions decisions are made on complete files only. Once an application is complete, an applicant will receive a decision in approximately three to four weeks through the online application system. To begin the process, we recommend verifying your program eligibility before accessing the online application. Candidates applying to the Masters in Accounting (MSA) program should follow the instructions and requirements shown below.
MSA Application Deadlines for Fall 2018 Enrollment:
|Application Available||July 3|
|Early App Deadline (nonbinding)||Nov 15|
|Final Application Deadline||Limited seats and merit/need scholarships remain available. Apply now for a Aug 2018 start.|
|Enrollment Begins**||Aug 2018|
|Application Available||July 3|
|Early App Deadline (nonbinding)||Nov 15|
|Final Application Deadline||Mar 1|
|Enrollment Begins**||Aug 2018|
*Includes U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents.
**If applicable, pre-requisite courses begin in May on the Wake Forest campus.
NO SEPARATE SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION REQUIRED. Qualified applications submitted earlier receive admission and scholarship award priority.
The Wake Forest University School of Business seeks individuals who have demonstrated achievement through academic coursework, professional experience and community involvement. Wake Forest looks for leadership ability, motivation, focus, enthusiasm, strong values and teamwork skills in its prospective students.
Before you start the application process, we encourage you to check the program eligibility standards listed below to verify that you meet the minimum qualifications. Wake Forest does not refund the application fee for a submitted application, regardless of whether a candidate meets the program eligibility.
For Fall 2018 enrollment, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Earned or pursuing a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university. All undergraduate majors will be considered.
- Required prerequisite courses for all applicants (including WFU seniors who are not pursuing the 5-year MSA program). Individuals who will complete an undergraduate degree by spring 2018 can enroll in the MSA program. Students who enter the program do not need to have an accounting background, however, students without an accounting background are required to successfully complete the prerequisite courses listed below prior to enrollment. Of the prerequisite courses, Principles of Finance, Intermediate Accounting I & II, Introductory Tax and Intermediate Financial Management must be taken at a four-year, U.S. AACSB-accredited school; otherwise, students are expected to take them on the Wake Forest campus the summer before the program begins in August.
- Principles of Financial Accounting (offered during a two-week period in mid-May)
- Principles of Finance (offered in the Summer I session)
- Intermediate Accounting I (offered in the Summer I session)
- Intermediate Accounting II (offered in the Summer II session)
- Introductory Tax (offered in the Summer II session)
- WFU School of Business juniors only: Wake Forest students can apply to the integrated MSA program and earn both the Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degrees with five years of coursework at Wake Forest. These students apply to the School of Business in their sophomore year and then apply to the MSA program in their junior year of study. To apply as a junior to the MSA program, Wake Forest students must have been admitted into the Wake Forest undergraduate business program and be in the process of taking junior-level accounting coursework within the School of Business. For additional information regarding eligibility and application requirements for WFU juniors, please contact Briana Brewer at 336-758-4290 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also refer to the instructions tab of the WFU Junior Fall 2019 application.
Application & Application Fee
Online application is required for all applicants. To submit the application, a $100 non-refundable application fee payable by Visa or MasterCard is required. The written assessment, resume and unofficial transcript are part of the online application.
As part of your application, you are required to respond to questions in the Legal Disclosure section of the application. All applicants are encouraged to be forthcoming when disclosing this information. If required, candidates may be asked to provide additional information to complete a background check.
A one-page resume or CV is required. A sample format is available for download by clicking the Wake Forest Resume Template. Applicants who are pursuing the three-semester option are encouraged to reformat their resume using this template.
Required: A requirement of the online application includes a written assessment comprised of two short-answer questions designed to share experiences and collect additional information. As a guide, responses to the questions should be limited to one paragraph (approx. 250 words max.).
Optional: Applicants may use the optional short-answer question on the online application to discuss anomalies that exist in their application/transcript or address aspects that may be concerning to the Admissions Committee. This question is optional and not required.
GMAT / GRE
Unless otherwise directed, all applicants must take the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Scores are valid for five years post exam date. If your score is expiring, you must submit your application prior to expiration. While we accept either the GMAT or GRE, we prefer the GMAT due to its long history as an MSA entrance exam.
GMAT test registration information is available at www.mba.com. Use the WFU MS in Accountancy code R5F-NS-06.
GRE test registration information is available at www.ets.org/gre. Use the Wake Forest MS Accountancy institution code 1155.
TOEFL / IELTS
Applicants whose native language is not English and/or whose principal language of university instruction was not English must submit scores from either the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System). Exception: applicants who have or will complete their undergraduate work in the U.S. or at an English-speaking college or university are not required to take the TOEFL or IELTS.
The Admissions Committee recommends a minimum TOEFL score of 107 (IBT) or an official IELTS score of 7.5. However, score minimums are guidelines for admission. All official test scores will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee and considered in the decision-making process. TOEFL and IELTS scores are valid for two years post exam date. If your score is expiring, you must submit your application prior to expiration. The Admissions Committee reserves the right to waive the TOEFL/IELTS for international applicants who have resided and worked in the United States for an extended period of time.
Information and test registration for the TOEFL is available at www.toefl.org. Use the Wake Forest School of Business institution code B818. Information and test registration for the IELTS is available at www.ielts.org. An institutional code is NOT required for IELTS.
The names and contact information for two references are required as part of the online application. However, online letters of recommendation are NOT required and, if submitted, will NOT be used during the application review process. At their discretion, the Admissions Committee may contact your references directly. Please do not submit additional references, as they will not strengthen your application.
Unofficial transcripts will be accepted for the review process. When you apply online, you will upload your unofficial transcript as a part of your application. Should you be admitted and enroll, official transcripts must then be submitted prior to Orientation in August. The Admissions Committee reserves the right to request a transcript from any school which you have spent significant time. Associate degree transcripts are not required.
For International MSA students: If your academic transcript(s) are not in English, an official transcript evaluation must be submitted using World Education Services (www.wes.org) or International Education Evaluations (www.foreigntranscripts.com). If using WES, the Admissions Committee will accept either the “WES Basic Course-by-Course” or “WES ICAP” evaluation. If using IEE, we will accept the “Course Report”. All submissions are at the applicant’s expense. Please ensure that your name is spelled out completely in English on your application and transcript. As an example, do not submit your last name as “P”, when it is “Patel”, as it is very difficult to match your transcript to your application.
For all admitted MSA students: Prior to enrollment, official, final transcripts are required from any college or university from which you earned (or will earn) a four-year degree or higher (ie. master’s degree). Official transcripts must be received in a sealed envelope from the university. If you have not graduated, please wait to order an official copy of your transcript until after graduation; your official final transcript must include the date the degree was conferred and the name of the degree awarded. If your transcript does not include the degree name and the date your degree was conferred, you must send an official, notarized document from your university that provides this information. To request your transcript, you may use the Transcript Request Form we have provided or use the form provided by your specific college.
- Sending official, final electronic transcripts: Should your university use an electronic transcript format, it should be emailed directly from your university to the Wake Forest Graduate School of Business Enrollment Management Center at email@example.com.
- Mailing official, final paper transcripts: Official, final paper transcripts must be sealed in an envelope and mailed directly from the college/university to one of the following addresses:
Regular Mail Express Delivery Wake Forest University School of Business
P.O. Box 7897
Winston-Salem, NC 27109
Wake Forest University School of Business
1834 Wake Forest Road
Farrell Hall – Suite 115
Winston-Salem, NC 27106
All interviews for the MSA program are by invitation only, after a candidate has submitted the application. Candidates will receive notification the week following application submission regarding their interview status. We offer two options for interviewing: 1) an on-campus interview, or 2) a WebEx video interview. On-campus interviews include the opportunity to attend class and have lunch with a current student, tour Farrell Hall, and have optional consultations with an MSA career coach and student services representative.
For prospective MSA students who have not completed an application, the School of Business is pleased to offer campus visits. You can attend a class with a current student, tour Farrell Hall, and if your schedule permits, have lunch with a current student. An optional 15-minute consultation to review the admissions process is also available.
Please use the campus visit request form to request your campus visit. Requests are typically confirmed within 48 hours once received, except after application deadlines and holiday breaks when the volume of requests is high and our office may require additional time to confirm your visit request.
Receipt of Transcripts & Scores
To check the status of received official transcript(s), GMAT/GRE score(s) and TOEFL/IELTS score(s), please login to your Self Service Center and click on the Applications tab to view a summary of your application status and requirements. To access your Self Service Center, enter the same username and password that you use to login to your online application.
Our office processes a large volume of application components daily, so check back often for new updates as this is the best method to check the receipt of your supplemental materials. Once materials are received by our office, it can take up to ten business days to update your Self Service Center. If it has been more than ten days and your Self Service Center is not properly updated, please contact the Enrollment Management Center.
When mailing official transcripts, it is suggested that you use FedEx or another type of service that provides you with package tracking capability.
If you completed the online application for Fall 2017, you may reapply for the subsequent year. Please verify your program eligibility before beginning the application process. As a reapplicant, you will complete an abbreviated application process, but are required to submit a new application and new recommendations through our online recommendation system (unless your recommenders give us permission to re-use their original recommendations). Any transcripts or official scores that were previously submitted to the Enrollment Management Center will be automatically transferred to your new 2018 application file. When you complete the online application, please answer yes to the question “Are you reapplying for 2018 enrollment?” on the Personal Data tab, indicating your intent to reapply. If you applied to the School of Business prior to 2017, we maintain official transcripts and official scores for up to three years. You are welcome to contact our office to inquire about previously submitted materials.
If you are applying as an international candidate, please review the following tips and guidelines for an efficient application process:
- Please use the same email address and first name throughout the entire application process, including when registering for GMAT/GRE or TOEFL/IELTS exams. Using multiple email addresses or first names prohibits our office from matching your official exam score to your application file, thus delaying your admissions decision.
- Please include your full application name in any correspondence with the university.
- Please ensure that your name is spelled out completely in English on your application and transcript. As an example, do not submit your last name as “P”, when it is “Patel”. It is difficult to match your transcript or test scores to your application if names are not complete.
- Do not send videos, financial statements, portfolios or any other materials which are not requested by the Enrollment Management Center.
- Please see our TOEFL/IELTS policy.
All candidates will receive a decision within three to four weeks after their application is complete.
International applicants have one week after the admit date to pay the deposit.
Deposit due dates for domestic candidates vary by admit date according to the chart below:
|Admit Date||Deposit Due Date||MSA Deposit*|
|Before February 28||Four weeks after admission||$1,500|
|March 1 – April 30||Two weeks after admission||$1,500|
|After May 1||One week after admission||$1,500|
*An additional processing fee is assessed if paying via credit card. Enrollment deposit payments are non-refundable.