Professor Jack Wilkerson Jr.
Professor of Accountancy
Jack E. Wilkerson, Jr. is a professor of accounting in the Wake Forest University Schools of Business. He joined Wake Forest's Wayne Calloway School of Business and Accountancy in 1989 as an accounting professor specializing in corporate financial reporting and was appointed dean of the Calloway School in May 1997, serving the School in that capacity until June 2008.
He was on sabbatical from Wake Forest from June 2008 until August 2009 and was a visiting scholar at the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching during his sabbatical year. While at the Carnegie Foundation, he worked on the Foundation's Preparing for the Professions Research Project as well as the Business, Entrepreneurship, and Liberal Learning research project.
Jack earned his Ph.D. from the University of Texas at Austin and worked at Arthur Andersen and the University of Georgia prior to joining Wake Forest University.
He has published articles in a number of professional and academic journals, including The CPA Journal, the Journal of Accounting Research, and Issues in Accounting Education. He currently serves on the editorial board of Issues in Accounting Education and is guest editing a special issue of the journal focused on the introductory accounting course. His current research projects focus on the broad formative elements of educational preparation for work in the professions.
Jack and his wife Sally have been married 36 years and have three daughters and two grandchildren.
educational preparation for professional practice; development of professional identity; team-based learning
- Ph D, University of Texas at Austin (Accounting) - 1984
- BS, Bob Jones University (Accounting) - 1974
- the broad formative elements of educational preparation for the professions
- introductory financial accounting
- team-based learning
- formation of professional identity
Wilkerson, J. E.
(2014). A practice-based statement of cash flows learning experience: An initial public offering for Contempri Homes?
Issues in Accounting Education, 29 (1), 195-216.
Wilkerson, J. E.
(2010). Accounting Educators as the Accounting Profession's Trustees: Lessons from a Study of Peer Professions.
Issues in Accounting Education, 25 (1), 1-13.
- 2003 - Horace Kelly Alumni Teaching Award
- 1989 - Beta Alpha Psi Outstanding Teacher Award, University of Georgia Beta Alpha Psi Chapter
- 1988 - Beta Alpha Psi Outstanding Teaching Award, University of Georgia Beta Alpha Psi Chapter
- - Omicron Delta Kappa Award for Contribution to Student Life, Omicron Delta Kappa